Backtesting with data from CSV file

jaredthirsk since: 18 Dec 2015;

11 Dec 2016, 01:43
Backtesting with data from CSV file

One tip: make sure the file is not opened in another app (or in both backtesting/optimization tabs?)  Try making a copy of the file.

Harshenboldd since: 27 May 2020;

27 May 2020, 20:11
1M CSV files not behaving like the one from server.

I just downloaded 3 years of 1minute .CSV files for GBPJPY. 

I can successfully import the data to cAlgo, but when I backtest in visual, each bars (I always backtest on 4H timeframes.) appears right away. There is no fluctuation in the candle, it is all printed at once. In contrary to when I backtest with server data.

Is there a way to fix this? because my algo can't detect the set ups when the bars appear all at once. 

Thanks!!

PanagiotisCharalampous since: 13 Jan 2017;

28 May 2020, 08:08

Hi Harshenboldd,

Can you share your csv file so that we can reproduce the issue?

Best Regards,

Panagiotis 

Join us on Telegram

Head of Community Management at cTrader

duongphuongtrinh92 since: 14 Jul 2020;

09 Jan 2022, 14:21
Can I backtest strategy with daily data?

Hi Spotware,

I would like to backtest a swing trading strategy using Daily Close Price. And the problem is I do not have 1-minute data csv file, I only have daily data. Can I backtest the strategy using this daily csv file?

amusleh since: 01 Mar 2021;

10 Jan 2022, 08:36
RE: Can I backtest strategy with daily data?

duongphuongtrinh92 said:

Hi Spotware,

I would like to backtest a swing trading strategy using Daily Close Price. And the problem is I do not have 1-minute data csv file, I only have daily data. Can I backtest the strategy using this daily csv file?

No, you can't.

You can only import M1 bars data or use the server data.

Community Developer | Spotware | Telegram: @algodeveloper

ctid2514471 since: 23 Jan 2021;

23 Oct 2022, 15:52

It's a bit bizarre that this feature has never gone beyond M1 bars after all these years...

It seems crazy to pull tick data from the server every time, in particular.

This feels like a change that would take about 15 minutes of software development...

What am I missing?

akirilarry since: 03 Jan 2023;

03 Jan 2023, 04:25
How do i see the quality of my brokers historical data after doing a backtest.

How do i see the quality of my brokers historical data after doing a backtest, just like in mt5/mt4

Hatting since: 12 Sep 2019;

19 Jan 2023, 21:08
Allow loading .csv data from different timeframes

Since the optimization feature was released, you can only load data from a csv with 1 minute candle data. Sometimes that delays backtesting and data collection too much because not all strategies work in 1 minute. In the future, do you plan to allow csv files to be uploaded in the temporality that you are trying to optimize? Example: if I want to optimize a strategy in 1h, will I be able to upload custom .csv files with 1h candle data or will I always have to upload the .csv file with 1 minute candle data? (which greatly increases the data to be processed).