CPU consumption is not at 100%

andi21 since: 14 Dec 2016;

16 May 2017, 14:17
CPU consumption is not at 100%

Hello,

now i have bought a new PC for optimization, but it does not consume 100% CPU.

The performance slider is at 100% in cAlgo and it also all cores are used which is good and fine so far.

But overall it only uses about 25% CPU.

When i run CPU-Z for example it consumes 100% when benchmarking.

Has anyone an idea?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

andi21

Spotware since: 23 Sep 2013;

16 May 2017, 14:37

Hi andi21,

Are you referring to cAlgo and back testing? If this is the case, if you want your code to utilize all the cores of your CPU then you will need to use parallel programming inside your cBot. . cAlgo cannot parallelize the backtesting process since it is sequencial by nature.

TRADERS FIRST™ Vote for your favorite features: https://ctrader.com/forum/suggestions

16 May 2017, 14:43

Hi Spotware,

i am refering to optimization (not backtesting - i know that in backtesting it only runs one bot instance and hence one core/main thread), so multiple bots run in parallel.

Like i said all cores are used, so that is fine. But overall it does not consume 100%, but only around 25%.

Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks.

16 May 2017, 16:56

Hi andi21,

Optimization should utilize all your CPU processors. Can you send us a sample cBot to see if we can reproduce your issue and identify the reason? Do you do something else in your cBot that could cause a performance bottleneck like reading or writing in a file?

TRADERS FIRST™ Vote for your favorite features: https://ctrader.com/forum/suggestions

16 May 2017, 17:20

Hi Spotware,

I have just tried one other SampleBot here from Bots-Section - it is the same problem (cpu consumption only at about 25%, but all cores are used correctly). So we can be sure that it does not depend on the code of my bot. It is something out of my scope.

Do you possibly have another idea?

17 May 2017, 19:35

Please, Spotware - have you got any advice for this problem for me?

17 May 2017, 19:45
RE:

andi21 said:

Please, Spotware - have you got any advice for this problem for me?

Is it possible that the work is correctly separated to be processed on each core (that works good), but the actual workload so the passes / bots which run in parallel in optimization is limited to 4 bots / workloads etc.?

Why do i have this idea?

Because on my other pc which has 4 cores it works over all cores and with 100%.

But on my new pc it works also over all 16 cores BUT only with 25% which would be 4 cores / bots / workloads.

Could that be the problem?

Has anyone else encountered this problem on a pc with 8 or 16 or more cores?

kricka since: 13 Mar 2013;

17 May 2017, 22:06

It's a very interesting question sent to the Spotware Team. The program utilizes 4 core 100% but only 25% of a 16 core CPU.

http://rmmrobot.com

17 May 2017, 22:54
RE:

kricka said:

It's a very interesting question sent to the Spotware Team. The program utilizes 4 core 100% but only 25% of a 16 core CPU.

I have also made a very simple quick & dirty (could be much better i know, but it is q&d) sample console app to prove the situation:

using System;
using System.Threading.Tasks;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            Console.WriteLine(Environment.ProcessorCount);

if (true) // set to false for single core use
            {
                int zzz = Environment.ProcessorCount;
                zzz = 4; // Comment this out to use all processors
                Action[] z = new Action[zzz];
                for (int xx = 0; xx < zzz; xx++)
                {
                    z[xx] = Set;
                }
                Parallel.Invoke(z);
            }
            else
            {
                Set();
            }

Console.ReadKey();
        }

private static void Set()
        {
            long x = 5;
            for (long i = 0; i < 12147483647; i++)
            {
                if (x == 4)
                {
                    throw new Exception();
                }
                else
                {
                    x++;
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

The program proved me (like i said in my first post, that it is neither a problem of my bot code, because i also tested another simple sample bot, nor it is a problem of my new pc, because bench of cpu-z also uses 100%), that 100% are possible without any problem:

-> if i use 1 core (if (false)) -> 7% are used (100 % / 16 cores = about 7%)
-> if i use processorcount (comment out the zzz = 4;) -> 100% are used
-> if i use FIX 4 cores (using zzz = 4): 25% are used ((100% / 16 cores) * 4 cores = about 25% -> like in calgo

so everything should be fine, but probably there is a problem in limiting the actual workload (see my post /forum/calgo-support/11535#7).

So all 16 cores are used, but the workload is only limited to 4 so the work of 4 is divided on 16 cores instead of a workload of 16 that is divided on 16 cores.

18 May 2017, 15:53

Hi andi21,

Can you send us a cBot that we could run and reproduce the problem?