Questions concerning the new FIX API implementation

03 Aug 2016, 13:32Questions concerning the new FIX API implementation#1
OldDirty Pipsterposts: 87since: 18 Apr 2014

Firstly, this is definitely a positive step in the right direction, butting trading potential more in the hands of the consumer.

I would appreciate it if you would answer each question separately.

1)  Will this allow us to obtain market data directly from the liquidity providers, and execute orders via DMA verses ECN?

2) Will order execution and market data latency be significantly improved?

3) Will I be able to view the full order book?

4) How many levels of market depth will I have?

5) Will each level have a unique identifier that allows me to differentiate between the prices for each LP?

6) Will each market data entry have a unique MDEntryID (Field 278) and a MDEntryRefID (Field 280)

6) Will prices be aggregated or non-aggregated? In other words, do you support the FIX API Field  299, "Y" for the option to see non-aggregated, "N" to view as aggregated. I cannot stress how important this feature is, along with a unique ID for each level in non-aggregated mode.

Looking forward to your response.


Shame on you when you stepped through to, The OldDirty Pipster - Brooklyn!!!
03 Aug 2016, 13:34#2
OldDirty Pipsterposts: 87since: 18 Apr 2014

correction: FIX Field 266 not 299


Shame on you when you stepped through to, The OldDirty Pipster - Brooklyn!!!
03 Aug 2016, 14:40#3
cTrader Teamposts: 3370since: 23 Sep 2013

Dear Trader, 

Please find the answers below

1) With FIX API you will not receive prices directly from LP, the prices will be those that the respective broker provides

2) There will definitely be the improvement in execution time and latency, although you will still be connected to the broker's servers. 

3) Yes, you will be able to view the full order book

4) A number of market depth  levels will depend on the broker. 

Answers to the questions 5-7 you can find in cTrader FIX API specifications https://help.spotware.com/FIX 


TRADERS FIRST™ Vote for your favorite features: http://vote.spotware.com/
03 Aug 2016, 14:44RE:#4
OldDirty Pipsterposts: 87since: 18 Apr 2014

Spotware said:

Dear Trader, 

Please find the answers below

1) With FIX API you will not receive prices directly from LP, the prices will be those that the respective broker provides

2) There will definitely be the improvement in execution time and latency, although you will still be connected to the broker's servers. 

3) Yes, you will be able to view the full order book

4) A number of market depth  levels will depend on the broker. 

Answers to the questions 5-7 you can find in cTrader FIX API specifications https://help.spotware.com/FIX 

In this case, are there plans to implement Field 266; non-aggregated/aggregated market depth?


Shame on you when you stepped through to, The OldDirty Pipster - Brooklyn!!!
04 Aug 2016, 19:07#5
ianjposts: 58since: 14 May 2013

Any chance of addressing this question re Symbol/MarketDataRequest  and incomplete FIX documentation

/forum/connect-api-support/9969

04 Aug 2016, 19:28RE:#6
OldDirty Pipsterposts: 87since: 18 Apr 2014

You can see the full documentation for FIX protocol at www.fixtradingcommunity.org/

The documentation supplied by Spotware is not incomplete. Before you use it, you must have a firm understanding of FIX protocol and TCP/IP communications protocol. The reason why it seems incomplete is because you do not have a solid grasp of either.

Coding a monolithic engine for the purpose of market data acquisition and trade execution is no simple task.It requires a solid background of Multithreading best practice and TCP/IP. You then apply this knowledge for FIX implementation.

The primary issue here is not that the documentation is incomplete. The primary issue here is that Spotware has failed to implement some fundamental attributes to their FIX server engine; namely, they have not implemented Field 266.

I would strongly advise that you take some time out, and learn TCP/IP, Multithreading coding and then FIX. Ultimately, you will only be saving yourself much headache in the long run.

ianj said:

Any chance of addressing this question re Symbol/MarketDataRequest  and incomplete FIX documentation

/forum/connect-api-support/9969

 


Shame on you when you stepped through to, The OldDirty Pipster - Brooklyn!!!
04 Aug 2016, 20:00RE: RE:#7
ianjposts: 58since: 14 May 2013

Errm ! I am experienced with Java/C++ coding and FIX - I have previously coded production FIX connectors for Currenex, FXCM, Baxter, EBS, Reuters - i know what i am on about. Yes your issues may be correct. I am just atempting to USE it NOW and am running into more basic problems. I am aware that FIX is just a protocol for defining a connection and most connections are slightly different in their usage of fields available. 

The FIX document 2.5 offered is INCOMPLETE - it does not accept the intuitive regular EURUSD, EUR/USD etc symbols, refers to Spotware to defined the symbols to use - that information is not provided and should at least be provided as an addendum or separate document (as it tends to change)

That is clear in my problem description along with my example

TLDR ?

04 Aug 2016, 20:04RE: RE: RE:#8
OldDirty Pipsterposts: 87since: 18 Apr 2014

My bad dawg, my bad. You aiite my nyuckah. Home skillet is rite. Spotware, Listen up! It turns out that you did not include the codes that represent the traded currency symbols. You need to come correct. For real.

ianj said:

Errm ! I am experienced with Java/C++ coding and FIX - I have previously coded production FIX connectors for Currenex, FXCM, Baxter, EBS, Reuters - i know what i am on about. Yes your issues may be correct. I am just atempting to USE it NOW and am running into more basic problems. I am aware that FIX is just a protocol for defining a connection and most connections are slightly different in their usage of fields available. 

The FIX document 2.5 offered is INCOMPLETE - it does not accept the intuitive regular EURUSD, EUR/USD etc symbols, refers to Spotware to defined the symbols to use - that information is not provided and should at least be provided as an addendum or separate document (as it tends to change)

That is clear in my problem description along with my example

TLDR ?

 


Shame on you when you stepped through to, The OldDirty Pipster - Brooklyn!!!
04 Aug 2016, 20:09#9
ianjposts: 58since: 14 May 2013

Saying all that this is quite exciting to a retail trader. As far as i can see this is the first time i have seen free access to a non institutional trading platform over FIX without significant monthly fees, volume or account size qualifying limitations.

Respect :)

04 Aug 2016, 20:18#10
ianjposts: 58since: 14 May 2013

It would be nice to have a OrderCancelRequest as well - lol 

Yes i can go to the FIX specs but i would be running blinkered as each platform varies in its usage and interpretation of fields - can we have documentation for your implementation please